Thursday, August 18, 2011

Procrastination

So for once I really don't have anything to say. I'm really just trying to waste time in order to avoid doing more thesis work - which I know is bad but seeing as they've stuffed me around I figure what the heck, might as well  play along...

Tonight has been interesting though. Working on the elab counter is always an experience - you just never know what it is that is going to happen on any one shift but tonight has been even more unique than usual! I started my shift at 4:30 and walked in to see the daytime staff all huddled together behind the desk which in itself really isn't all that unusual - nerds tend to huddle occasionally :p but it became very interesting very fast.

Now before I actually relate the story let me just emphasise here that ECU's official values are those of:
  • respect
  • integrity
  • rational enquiry
  • personal excellence
The last two (possibly three) don't really apply but the first one definitely does. We also have a very high number of international students both on the Perth campuses as well as overseas - around about 20% of our cohort is international. Thats a lot of students!

Now in the elab students aren't necessarily required to be quiet - in fact, in my opinion it shouldn't be emphasised... if you want quiet go through the double doors and  into the library! But we had an African student come to the desk to say that the girl sitting next to him and his mate had asked them to quieten down. Most African students (particularly males) are really quite softly spoken so this in itself surprised us. He then went on to tell us that this girl had also told him:
 'You're in Australia so speak English! I'm from Australia so I don't have to leave, you should leave, or speak our language'

This charming young lady was removed from the elab by security (you don't mess with Janet!) and on her way out decided to share some parting words with me. Something along the lines of, "he was harrassing me! And he had the nerve to go and call security! I've had enough, I'm not crazy! I've had the best psychiatric care in all of someplace (didn't catch it) and I know I'm not crazy! I'm from Australia, I was born in Australia I shouldn't have to give up things for VISITORS like them to Australia! I've earned it, it in my blood!" But the best bit was the final parting remark... "He'll probably flunk out anyway!!!"

With absolutely no knowledge of who he was, what he was completing at ECU, whether or not he was an Australian citizen - she was able to make this claim. Pretty good hey!

The most amusing part is that I'd just spent all day talking with my students about how tolerant Australian's are and as a general rule we are quite good with people from other religions and races..... Maybe she's the exception to the rule?

Anyway..... I'm all for having an opinion but there's a point where you can take it too far. That is, when its shared with half of the elab - who by the way represent that diversity of ECU - around about 20% are international. Maybe not the best forum.........

The thesis work calls :(

Kazzi

No comments:

Post a Comment